Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ok, so this weekend is all about Aleigh and my dad! Saturday is both my dad's birthday and Aleigh's dance recital, Sunday it's Fathers Day and we are going to be having a cookout at mom and dad's. But, tomorrow is Aleigh's Dress Rehearsal, so today was her last day of dance class for this year. When I asked her if she was sure she wanted to stay in dance and not try something else, her reply was "NOPE! Nothing else except dance and karate!" See, I thought that because she enjoys the 20 minutes of gymnastics they do, that maybe she would like to try gymnastics. "No mommy! I am staying in Dance!" I am great with her decision, I just needed to make sure! Well, today when I asked Mr. Steve (the owner of her dance studio) what day and time her class would be in the fall, he told me it would be on Thursdays from 4-5:30! Well, I was confused. In talking to the other mom's most of the girls from Aleigh's class were going to be taking class on Monday's from 4-5 pm. So I looked at Steve w/ a puzzled look and said "she is going to get an additional 30 minutes?" He looked at me w/ this proud smirk and said "Well girls on my competition teams get more time for one on one to focus on technique!" Now I was concerned so I immediately asked "What type of time and financial commitment is this going to be?" He then said that we would only need to buy the usual 1 costume for the year, and her class was only an additional $11 per month. I was totally ok with this but had to ask "So you think Aleigh is ready for this?" and his comment back to me was "Aleigh, Maviry, and Savannah (Aleigh's friends since she started dance last year) have blown us away w/ their progress last year and this year and they love the stage. They will do very well, I have no doubt! They were the only ones out of the 12 in their class that we thought were good enough to compete!" Well, now I can say I am officially proud and not just worried that he is trying to get us to commit to more time and money. Mr. Steve is right though, Aleigh LOVES the stage. We, as parents, don't get to watch them take class, so seeing them perform is always a treat! I will be sure and post pictures of Aleigh rehearsing tomorrow and of her recital on Saturday!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

That is so exciting to hear that she is going to start competing!!!! It is so much fun! You are lucky it is not going to cost you too much more money. The girls out here have 2 costumes and have to pay comp. fee's for each competition because they charge each studio per dance they enter and parents have to help out with the fee's. You are going to have a fun and exciting dance year ahead.....and busy!!! Tell Aleigh I am so proud of her, I just wish she could be on my competing teams. This year I am teaching 5 competing teams and 5 combo classes, and 3 non competing jazz classes.