Monday, September 13, 2010

TRANSITIONS

We are facing a lot of transitions at once! The biggest, and most important, transition is our decision to home school this year!

We are reminded several times a day that we have made the best decision for our family! Last school year there was a lot of stress, frustration, and anger that we had to try to deal with/re-direct. Joe was only able to spend an hour with the kids in the morning before taking them to school! That hour was spent trying to rush the kids out the door most mornings so that they could be to school by 7:45am! Joe would come home and spend the morning w/ me and the little ones, but then had to leave for work by 1pm. Once the kids came home from school we had our afternoon to stress over a ridiculous amount of homework, dinner, baths, karate, and meeting all other demands! Once everyone was in bed, Joe would come home while I was picking up the house! So, the kids were not seeing there dad much at all, except for a little bit on the weekends. When they were seeing him during the week, it was during karate and he was their instructor. As you can imagine, trying to get their dad's acknowledgement while he is trying to instruct an entire class, was very difficult! If he happened to correct them, it was devastating because that was just a little piece of interaction that they were able to get from their dad! Joe felt horrible about this and has REALLY been looking forward to homeschooling this year so he can have a lot more one on one time w/ the kids!



Joe and I are a fantastic team and the kids are doing so well! We love the flexibility, the closeness, and the opportunity to learn with the kids! Austin and Ansley are doing well with it all too! Ansley is learning her shapes, colors, and enjoys coloring, writing, and books! We have had so many incredible home schooled families reach out and offer advise and material! We also joined a large home school Co-op that includes over 360 families here in our county! We have the opportunity to go on awesome field trips a couple of times a month and we meet with several families every Thursday for 3 hours so that the kids can take advantage of enrichment classes! AJ is taking "Gross Anatomy" and "Culinary creations from around the world." Aleigh is taking "America Then and Now" and "Pottery." They have already made some great friends and LOVE going! Ansley and Austin even have their own class to go to! As parents, we have to either teach or assist and be present the entire time our kids are there. I am assisting w/ a friend of mine who is teaching a class on our Solar System. So we teach for the first hour and then we actually get to go and spend an hour with other moms (no kids) and have all of the food and drinks that we want! It's fabulous!!!

Ansley ready for her first day at "Voyagers" (our Thursday enrichment classes)


There is SO much out there to be used as a learning tool! We are amazed at the educational games that are out there! The kids are learning so much and were all having fun and learning together! For Social Studies we are studying presidents because AJ has taken a HUGE interest in learning about what each president believed and what America thought about that president! We are hoping that we can take a field trip to DC sometime next year! My cousin Anja has claimed to be an incredible tour guide, and I don't doubt that for a second! My cousin Andrea is out there as well, and I may have more family living out there by next year! We also have the "Little White House" here in Warm Springs, GA where we can go and learn all about FDR! We have been there and toured the little white house, but the kids were too young to retain the info. It's only 30 minutes from where we live!

Yes, we do have days when were all going nuts and nobody wants to pick up the books, learn/teach! So, we find something to read, a game to play or just pick a few light assignments to do OR put the books up all together for one day!

Joe is currently teaching the kids how to create a pinata (paper mache)


Aleigh, posing in her new Birthday outfit from Nana and Papa!

Austin is getting so big and standing on his own! He LOVES this box! He'll be walking in no time!


The other big transition we have been working with is me going back to work! I took a retail management position at Gymboree (so fun) and my hours are, by no means, consistent! At first I started to think i was going to have to quit my job all together because it didn't seem fair that my schedule was causing every one's schedule to be a little crazy! Then we realized, it doesn't hurt to teach our kids the importance of being flexible and understanding that the daily schedule can change! So, we have a big dry erase board where we write the daily schedule and their daily chores so they know what to expect each day and they follow it very well! They are also very good about checking the calendar and have been known to remind Joe and I about important events!

For now, things seem to be going fairly well. I would love to find a different job that provides more consistency and a regular schedule, but I feel blessed to have a job that usually doesn't require me to work more than 4 hrs at a time. I rarely work during the day so by the time I go in, the school day is long over! I also have an amazing friend who takes care of my kids for me when i need her at a very friendly rate! My mom and dad have also been amazing at pitching in and helping! It's an incredible feeling to be able to get away for 4 hrs or so, work at a place that I really enjoy, and know that my kids are being loved and cared for so well!

2 comments:

Amy said...

WOW!!! That's all I can say- Wow. You are incredible parents. How amazing to have a network of other parents homeschooling their children too. I am truly amazed and inspired every time I look at your blog.

Candi said...

bless your cute little heart! You are amazing....I hope it all works out for. I am sure it will and I bet your kids love it. I know about the whole stress thing after school! xoxo